24 January 2006

Rendezvous Part 2

“Well, Natalie,” Derrick began, “I’ve earned the right to feel a little superior. I graduated second in my class in high school while taking college classes at the local community college. In addition, I completed college in two years instead of four, earned my Masters in less than two years, and have almost completed my PhD.” Derrick paused. “So, if that’s offensive to you, I can apologize, though I don’t think it’s necessary. I’m a man of action and achievement. I see nothing wrong with that,” he concluded.

Natalie was speechless. She wished she’d simply Googled the information instead of having to hear it flow so eloquently out his mouth. Natalie felt slightly embarrassed; however, not enough to make her concede completely.

“Oh! Then I suppose you’re not as unnecessarily arrogant as I initially thought,” she smiled content in making a backhanded compliment.” Derrick laughed noting her comeuppance. “Well, I guess you’re right,” was all Natalie could manage at the moment. Derrick’s once noted personality flaw now seemed a little more understandable. “I guess I should be the one apologizing then,” she added, “though I’m not going to. You know what they say about first impressions?” She smirked. "Although I am rather impressed with your academic excellence and ability to juggle so many things at once. And I thought only woman could multi task so well," Natalie chuckled.

"Academics came easy for me and I think I chose this profession as a means of challenge to myself," Derrick smiled. “And as for first impressions, and they’re sometimes wrong.” Derrick leaned forward, “and no, it’s not necessary to apologize; I’m actually happy you challenged it and me,” he admitted.

“Oh? Why’s that?”

“Well, even though we’re in 2005, there are still many who think I’m a recipient of AA or have been given some kind of preferential treatment. Like my father and grandfather, I’ve earned everything I’ve gotten in life and intend to live up to that tradition…at least some of it. Some things should be,” Derrick withdrew, “nevermind”.

Natalie caught the dismissal and it naturally peaked her curiosity. “Why did you stop abruptly?” Natalie asked in a forthright manner.

“Nothing. Don’t worry about it,” Derrick downplayed his comment.

“What were you going to say? Really.” Natalie probed.

Derrick became uncomfortable. He didn’t want to bring up his personal life. He was enjoying his time away from home and away from his wife even though he missed the twins. Derrick tried to regroup to deflect the attention, but he knew Natalie wasn’t going to give up easily.

“I guess beating around the bush isn’t going to fly with you,” Natalie shook her head, “so I’ll tell you,” Derrick sighed. “I’m the product of a terrible home life. Like my mother, I remain in a marriage for all the wrong reasons,” Derrick paused. “Tradition. And it’s killing me. It’s great for my kids, but terrible for me,” Derrick painfully admitted.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the first one and was like, okay. Then I read this one and it seems like you got something going here. I'll be back for more.

10:31 AM, January 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I please borrow a violin???

3:18 PM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home