26 January 2006

Rendezvous Part 4

“Sorry about that,” Natalie sat back down. “Kind of a habit,” she explained.

“No problem. I understand,” Derrick suppressed his malaise. “It’s getting late,” Derrick looked at his watch. “I hope you’re not staying up on my account?”

“No, not at all,” Natalie quickly replied. “I’m enjoying your company and picking your brain. You’re a wealth of knowledge,” she complimented.

Derrick blushed. “That’s a one eighty, from what you originally thought of me,” Derrick grinned.

“What can I say, you’ve proven me wrong.”

“Glad to hear that. Maybe now you’ll wanna be a part of my group tomorrow,” Derrick implied.

“I think I’d enjoy that actually. I could learn a lot from you.”

And that was the beginning of things to come. Natalie participated in Derrick’s group and learned a lot of career enhancing tricks of the trade from him. For the remaining two days, Natalie and Derrick met at the end of the day to review notes, discuss the day’s events, and relax in each other’s company. Derrick finally let down his guard and told Natalie about the conditions of his home life and why a divorce would be near impossible. He explained his relationship with his family and how hard it would be for him to turn his back on everything he’s worked so hard for. Natalie felt an unexpected closeness to Derrick and at the end of the conference, found it a little difficult to want to leave. They’d shared nothing intimate other than Derrick’s home life, but yet there was still a connection that was more than work related. Derrick suppressed his desire to get to know Natalie on a personal level and was content with accepting her card to share shoptalk when the times called for it.

“Well Natalie,” Derrick extended his hand, “it’s been a real pleasure meeting and working with you. Knock ‘em dead when you get back home.”

Instead of receiving Derrick’s hand, Natalie hugged him, catching Derrick completely off guard. After getting over the initial shock, Derrick reciprocated the hug before Natalie could sense his reluctance.

“Handshakes for acquaintances, I’d like to think we’re a little more than that now,” Natalie said in a near whisper.

“Uh, sure,” Derrick hesitantly answered. “I guess we are,” Derrick felt himself get lost in Natalie’s eyes.

“Good,” Natalie beamed. “Have a safe flight home and we’ll be in touch.”

“Y-yeah…Okay…you too,” Derrick stuttered.

Derrick and Natalie parted ways.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww shucks. I can't wait to read the next part and fortunately I'm behind on my reading and it's already posted.

3:24 PM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home