06 February 2006

Rendezvous Part 7

“Oh God! No!” Natalie screamed, tears streaming down her face. “What happened? How? Oh my God,” Natalie collapsed onto the floor.

Derrick ran to comfort her. “What happened?”

“Its…it’s Lloyd,” she struggled. “He…he’s been in an acc…he…he’s dead.” Natalie choked on her tears.

“Oh Natalie, I’m so sorry,” Derrick tried to console. “Let it out. Just let it out.” Derrick rocked Natalie in his arms. His heart ached for her and he carried her to the bed. “Do you want me to drive you back?” Derrick’s tone wreaked compassion.

“Yes. No…I don’t know,” confusion captured Natalie’s mind.

“Where are your keys? I can drive you,” Derrick repeated. “Is there someone you want me to call? I’m sure someone will be expecting you,” Derrick suddenly a feeling of dread came over him.

Natalie tried to think of what to do. Going to the hospital was the right thing to do, but she couldn’t. She didn’t want to go there and see the shell of what used to be Lloyd.

“Nat, I think you should let me drive you back. I can get directions to the hospital and take you there,” Derrick had to think in spite of himself. He knew how things would look, but he couldn’t care about appearances. Natalie needed to get to the hospital or things would look a lot worse.


No answer. Natalie cried until she fell asleep in Derrick’s arms. Her cell phone rang relentlessly, but he didn’t answer it. She couldn’t deal with all the questions; the sympathies, all she wanted was for the news not to be true. Natalie woke up about thirty minutes later from a fitful slumber and Derrick told her she had several missed calls. Not wanting to hear the messages, Natalie handed Derrick her phone and asked him to listen to them for her. Derrick did as he was asked, wrote down the names and messages, and handed the paper to her. Tears rained down again and Derrick laid back down cradling her against his huge frame.

“I have to take you back Nat. This'll look really bad if I don’t and you don’t need people making negative assumptions. This will be hard enough for you,” Derrick rationalized.


Derrick eased his body from Natalie’s and sat on the edge of the bed wondering what to do next. He took a shower, changed, and waited for Natalie to compose herself as best she could. Derrick emerged from the bathroom in jeans and a sweater ready to drive Natalie to the hospital.

Derrick sat beside Natalie. “Are your keys in your purse?” Natalie nodded. “Okay, I’ll drive you to the hospital and then take a cab back ,” Derrick spoke slowly and clearly. Natalie nodded again. “Let me get you a warm towel for your face”. Derrick went to the bathroom. “Here you go,” he handed her the towel.

“Thank you,” Natalie handed the towel back. “I’m ready”. She smiled unconvincingly.

Derrick asked the desk clerk for directions and drove Natalie to the hospital. The ride was in complete silence save for the sounds coming from the slightly muted radio. As they approached the hospital, Derrick’s mind raced as he wondered what lay ahead for Natalie. He knew she had a close family and was in good keeping with Lloyd’s, but the image of her arriving with a seemingly unknown man? He knew that his name had come up in conversation but to see him in person could easily change the scope of things.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so you're teasing me with this. One minute I think they're gonna hook up and then the next it seems like they're not. You're teasing me. What's next?

9:41 PM, February 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I never saw that coming. Very nice work. Get your Jamie Foxx on girl (Unpredictable)!!!

3:40 PM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home