07 February 2006

Rendezvous Part 8

Natalie glanced over at Derrick. “Nervous?” Her voice broke his thoughts.

“A little,” Derrick admitted.

“Don’t be. They won’t bite. I’ve told them all about you”, Natalie revealed as if knowing Derrick’s thoughts. “They’re not judgmental. Well, Dorothy is, but that’s not for me to worry about right now." Derrick gave Natalie a quizzical look. “Dorothy's Lloyd’s sister. We’ve never really gotten along and she’s the attorney for L…” Natalie stopped and the tears fell.

“It’s okay,” Derrick reassured. “I’m a big boy and I can handle the scrutiny”. Derrick patted Natalie’s thigh. Nothing more was said.

Derrick pulled into the hospital parking lot and turned the car off. He got and walked around to let Natalie out. He opened the door and she paused before exiting.

“I’d say it’s gonna be alright, but that’s not really true is it?” He rhetorically asked. “I’ll walk you to the door and you can decide what you want me to do from there,” he added.

Derrick wrapped his arm around Natalie’s shoulder as a pillar of support and encouraged her weakening steps as they entered the doors. With a firm, yet tender squeeze, Derrick forced her to ask for Dr. Goldman who’d been the attending ER physician when Lloyd was brought in. She was directed to an adjoining wing and Derrick continued to guide her way. Natalie saw Lloyd’s parents sitting down with Dorothy talking to a nurse. Her sister was in the room also. A small sigh of relief escaped Natalie’s mouth.

“I’ll delay my trip home if you need me to,” Derrick’s voice was barely above a whisper.


“No, your case needs you. Call me before you leave though. Please.” Tears flowed again.

“Of course,” Derrick reassured as he kissed her cheek. “Take care Nat.”

Natalie waved and entered the waiting room.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, he's so supportive. Do you have one of him in a size between 30-35???

3:44 PM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home