13 March 2006

Rendezvous Part 12

Derrick knocked on the door and waited.

“Come in,” Natalie sniffed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to alarm you. I’m okay,” she lied unconvincingly.

“You don’t sound alright. Can I get you some tea or a brandy? Something to calm you?” Derrick sat at the vanity.

“No. I’ll be okay. I guess it’s all starting to really sink in,” Natalie confessed. “While you were away, I seemed to handle this so much better.” Derrick gave Natalie a confused look. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it the way it sounded.” Natalie eased to the edge of the bed.

“You miss him Nat. It’s understandable. You’re supposed to miss him,” Derrick stated sympathetically.

“You being here is great because nothing about you reminds me of home, but knowing you’re near, yet still at a distance is hard,” Natalie wiped away a threatening tear away.

Derrick said nothing and watched Natalie try to reconcile her thoughts and feelings. And then it dawned on him. Natalie was used to sleeping with someone — Lloyd. She was used to a man being around her in an intimate way, but the two of them were just friends. Derrick had developed intimate feelings for her and while he wouldn’t call it love, there was definitely an attraction. Derrick felt his defenses rise and he stood up.

“I’ll make you some tea.” Derrick quickly retreated from the room. Fortunately, Natalie didn’t notice his sudden change in demeanor.

Natalie crawled under the sheets and mindlessly surfed the channels until Derrick returned.


“Here you go. It’s chamomile infused with lavender. It’s supposed to soothe and relax you; Mother swears by it,” he placed the cup on the night table. “I’ve got to call home. I’ll check on you in a bit.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're doing a great job with this. I'm enjoy the curvy road that these two are on. When can we expect more?

4:05 PM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home