11 July 2006

Rendezvous Part 17

Although Natalie initiated the “no regrets” clause of their union, a part of her felt guilty for allowing her emotions and vulnerability to get the best of her. Even worse, she felt bad for how Derrick had to live with what they’d shared. His home life was toll enough, and now having to contain such a huge secret seemed unfair. Natalie toyed several times with the idea of encouraging him to tell someone he trusted implicitly so the burden could be somewhat alleviated; however, she never went through with it. Life would have to go on as agreed. Once Natalie resolved herself from the mini affair, she returned to work a revived and more productive woman. Natalie became a prominent figure amongst her colleagues and was offered a teaching position at the local University in conjunction to her post as the CSU head. During one of her classes, a student presented her with a white paper written by Derrick Parker and asked if they were acquainted. Natalie had read the paper, but the sound of Derrick’s name was music to her ears and she instantly wanted to reach out to him. Their communication had dwindled of late and Natalie missed him. She felt a wave of desire rise within her.

“Parker!” Derrick curtly answered.

Natalie paused. It was not the tone she expected. “Derrick, it’s Natalie,” she said sweetly.

Derrick leaned back in his chair and tried to rub the stress out of his temples. “Hey Nat, I’m sorry for my tone. It’s been one hell of a day,” his voice softened.

“Wanna talk about it?”

“No, not really,” Derrick discarded. “Work mostly,” he lied. “I’m happy to hear from you; what’s up?”

“Well, it’s been a while since we’ve spoken and even longer since I’ve se…” Natalie rambled and then stopped. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to...” Sudden doubt came over her.

“It’s okay,” Derrick encouraged, “please don’t censor yourself.”

Natalie paused to gauge Derrick’s mood. She wanted to be free and open, but erred on the side of caution, at least for the moment as she indulged the vivid memories in her mind. The clause came back to mind too, but she couldn’t deny herself the opportunity to change where they stood.

“Derrick, I’ve missed you,” Natalie stated firmly. “I’ve thought about you often and naturally hoped you were thinking about me too.”

Derrick pushed his work aside and allowed himself to relax in his seat. The bonhomie of Natalie’s voice erased Derrick’s previous demeanor and made him smile.

“How could I not?” Derrick stated. “Just hearing your voice does me in Nat,” Derrick affectionately offered. “It sure beats the choleric one I’m used to,” Derrick frowned for a moment. “What made you call,” Derrick quickly changed thoughts.

“I’ve called you several times,” Natalie admitted.

“Really?” Derrick creased his brow in thought. “You did? When?” Curiosity etched his tone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting turn of events. I like the shy girl way in which she had to drum up the nerve to call. I also like how they conversation wasn't all syrupy. I wasn't in the mood for cavities today...lol. Nice set up for the next chapter. Great work, but that's not a newsflash.

4:03 PM, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww sookie! Let me find out that these two might actually have a chance at making it.

11:35 AM, July 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home