13 July 2006

Rendezvous Part 18

Natalie paused and wished she hadn’t spoken so quickly. She suddenly felt embarrassed and knew Derrick would not concede easily. Natalie sighed heavily.

“I’ve called and hung up before you could answer and I’ve even disguised my voice and pretended to be someone else just to hear your voice,” Natalie woefully admitted. Derrick chuckled. “That’s not funny,” Natalie defended. “It’s pathetic and I’m mortified that I’m even admitting I did it.”

“Easy, easy, it’s okay,” Derrick comforted. “I find it rather endearing actually.”

“Endearing?” Natalie made a face. “I acted like a schoolgirl.”

“And I’ve acted like a school boy since the night we made love and I’m still acting like it now,” Derrick’s words soothed Natalie’s embarrassment. “It’s almost like having a crush on a teacher and having to keep it to yourself because no one can know,” Derrick said with a laugh.

“You’ve told no one about us?” A mélange of awe and sadness enveloped Natalie’s tone.

“Unfortunately not; I’ve often wanted to tell someone though.” Derrick mindlessly scribbled Natalie’s name on the blotter. “Mother senses something though,” Derrick craftily added.

“She does?” Natalie stared at Derrick’s online photo. “How so?” Natalie felt a sudden shift on the direction of the conversation.

Derrick got up and paced. He’d been smart enough to have his desk phone replaced with a cordless one. Derrick walked over to the window and stared into the darkening sky.

“Given that she and I share a similar existence, it’s not hard for her to notice a change in me; even the slightest ones,” Derrick explained. “Although she hasn’t asked me anything, I’ve seen a change in her demeanor. She’s a little more relaxed with me; more subtle in her approach to my situation, for lack of better wording,” softness warmed Derrick’s words.

“Will she?”

“No! Not at all," Derrick quickly reassured. "She’s on my side even if she doesn't know the details," Derrick paused. "And if I’m ever able to tell her about you, I'm sure she’ll smile, ask if you make me happy; which is obvious, and then she’ll simply caution me on how to maintain face,” Derrick smiled.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah shoot! I beat blaqrayne to the chapter...lol. I think you should change your name from blujewel to maze cause you always got twists and turns. This one shows some good potential for them though. (wink)

11:39 AM, July 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...yea, you beat me jc. I'm a little slow today.

This was a great chapter. I especially like how you capture their demeanor so that we can really visualize the characters. Their exchange was cute and sweet. Can't wait til the next one.

12:53 PM, July 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home