18 July 2006

Rendezvous Part 19

Natalie tried to imagine Derrick’s mother; wondering what kind of life she’d been living and how she’d managed to do it for so long. Natalie didn’t think she could be that noble. Or at least do it without a companion of some kind.

“It’s admirable that you both are so close, but I guess with the shared weight of a bad situation, I guess it all makes sense.” Natalie emerged from her thoughts.

“Have you..?” Derrick was almost afraid to ask. “Have you told anyone about us?”

Natalie nodded. She didn’t want say out loud to whom, but in order to preserve their integrity, she have to.

“Uhm, yes.” Natalie stuttered. “Yes, I have. I had to.” Natalie’s voiced weakened. “I couldn’t hold it in anymore.”

A sudden sense of urgency came over Derrick. He smiled and then frowned wondering whom she might have told and why. Natalie was close to her sister and thought maybe she’d told her. A small relief entered his stomach to satisfy the butterflies.

“May I ask whom?”

Silence! Natalie couldn’t speak. She opened and closed her mouth; struggling to put the explanation together. Warm saliva slid down her throat, but the words froze each time they surfaced.

“Nat?” Derrick queried. “Nat are you still there?”

“You know..." Natalie searched for an out. "A student came across your white paper and her receptiveness to you made me smile,” Natalie nervously chuckled.

“Receptiveness?” Derrick queried. “Though I know you’re trying to evade answering my question.” Derrick quicky noted.

Natalie coughed and swallowed hard. She should have known Derrick was too keen to let her get away with not speaking. He had a right to know seeing as she’d brought it up.

“I spoke with a counselor,” she replied bluntly, almost painfully.

Derrick stopped in his tracks and leaned against a cabinet. “A counselor? Natalie, is there something I need to know,” Derrick anxiously inquired.

“No! No, not like you think,” Natalie refuted.

“Then what?” Derrick pressed not wanting to speculate anything.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww. It's probably hard enough to enter something like that then to have to expose your business in order to avoid being dishonest. Poor Nat! I like that twist. Saying her sister would have been easy and predictable. Nice work, but what else is new!!!

4:27 PM, July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm? Sounds like some changes are going done. I'm trying to see if I can figure out what you're gonna do next, but you're not making it easy.

12:22 PM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home