19 July 2006

Rendezvous Part 20

Natalie paused and sighed loudly. “Long story short, I wasn’t handling things well between Lloyd’s death and being with you. I was working long hours, not really eating or sleeping, and it took its toll.” Natalie rambled in one long breath.

“Why didn’t you reach out?" Derrick pressed. "I would have been there for you babe.” The comfort in Derrick’s tone almost made Natalie cry. She’d wanted to; she really did. But she didn't want to admit to herself that she’d begun to fall in love; though it seemed to be too much and certainly too soon for it to be real.

“I know that Derrick, but I just couldn’t,” Natalie fought the tears back. “I had to handle things the best way I could and trust me I’m better now and at least I told someone I don’t have to deal with unless I want to. I’m sorry if that hurt you in any way.” She concluded and wiped the stray tears away.

Derrick let out a heavy sigh. So many things ran through his mind trying to imagine what had happened to Natalie, but the here and now was on the phone and he had to focus on that.

“I’ll admit it does hurt hearing that things got that heavy for you; however, I’m happy that you were able to deal with it and you seem much better now. You are aren’t you?” A hint of apprehension resumed.

“Yes. Yes, I’m much better now.”

“Good,” Derrick was smiling again. “So, now you can go back to telling me about your student.”

Natalie smiled, partly recalling her own initial reaction to Derrick. Well, the physical one. “It’s funny, I think she was partly taken by your looks and then by your paper,” Natalie teased. “I think she might have even done a Google search on you.” Natalie laughed at her having Googled him. “She asked if I knew you, which prompted this call, but I get the impression that she’d like to get to know you herself,” Natalie laughed through the implication.

Derrick tapped his pen against the desk. He smiled and decided he’d humor Natalie a little. “So, what would the good instructor do in a case like this?” Derrick teased. “Would she invite said author to a lecture so said student could meet said author or would she harbor him to herself?”

Natalie let out a hearty laugh. “Oh, now I recall the arrogance I was initially greeted with,” she stated between fits of laughter. “I’m not sure she could handle you the way I can though. She’s just starting out,” Natalie added.

Derrick snickered and mulled over the double entendre. Seeing as Natalie had previously ribbed him about his arrogance, he decided to play the hand. “So, you can handle me huh? Is that a fact? And how pray tell can you do that?” Derrick questioned in a pointed tone.

“Oh shit!” Natalie blushed. “I can’t believe I said that.”
“Yeah, you did,” Derrick laughed loudly. “Is your subconscious overriding your conscious Ms. Connors?”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO...that was a cute exchange. And, I admire how supportive he is of her going into counseling. Very nice chapter.

4:21 PM, July 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aiight, you threw me a curve ball. I have no idea how much longer this is gonna be cause I can't take much more. Hurry up and post the next one.

7:43 AM, July 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home