20 July 2006

Rendezvous Part 21

Derrick reached in his pocket. “Nat, can you hold for a second? We’ll pick up where we left once this call is over.”

“Yeah; sure.”

Natalie returned her attention to some paperwork while she waited. She dismissed the numerous and even amorous thoughts that vied for her attention. Derrick's easy nature amazed her for the amount of stress she knew he dealt with between work and home. Having increased her own responsibilities afforded her some empathy. The amorous thoughts soon arrived at the finish line.

“Sorry about that,” Derrick excused, “ that was my mother.”

Natalie shook her head silently disgarding to her thoughts.

“She…she, uh, wants to talk to you,” Derrick nervously stated.

“Me?" Natalie startled. "For what?” Came the prompt and nervous reply.

“She didn’t say exactly. She asked a few questions and then said she wanted to speak with you. Shall I set it up?” The equal nervousness couldn’t be missed.

Natalie rubbed her temples. She couldn’t think of why Derrick’s mother would want to speak with her, but accepted nonetheless.

“Sure.”

“I won’t if you don’t really want to,” Derrick soothed.

“I know how important she is to you Derrick. I also know from what you’ve said, that she’s protective of you, so I think it’s only fair for her to have her say; whatever it is.” Natalie wasn’t feeling half as confident as she sounded leaving her mind to work overtime.

“Hang up and I’ll set up a conference call.”

Natalie waited for what seemed like an eternity for her phone to ring. The pounding in her heart felt like wild horses set free.

“Ms. Connors, may I skip the formality and call you Natalie?” Derrick’s mother politely inquired.

“Yes, of course. What may I call you in return?”

“Valerie, but Val, will suffice. No need for the full name if we’re to become allies,” Mrs. Parker’s soft voice immediately warmed Natalie. “Derrick, hasn’t mentioned anything if you’re wondering why I called.”

Natalie leaned into her oversized seat. “Mrs. P, I mean Val, if Derrick hasn’t mentioned me, then you have me at a loss for the call.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you really got me with this one. Never saw that coming. Can I pull my boss card and get you to post another one today?

6:52 PM, July 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She got me too rayne! Blu, you are one sneaky writer. Gotta get to the next one.

12:44 PM, July 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home