24 July 2006

Rendezvous Part 22

“I’ll get straight to the point,” Mrs. Parker, directly stated. “I know my son very well dear. There’s not much about him I couldn’t pick up on.” It was obvious Mrs. Parker was smiling. “I also know my lifelong friend Beatrice keeps no secrets from me,” Mrs. Parker allowed for pause. “Beatrice lives next to our Philadelphia home and informed me a young woman had stayed there. Derrick didn’t mention names when he said someone needed to use it. Being an inquisitive woman, I pressed Bizzy, that’s the pet name I have for her,” Mrs. Parker chuckled. “I’m sorry dear, it’s a joke between Bizzy and I. Anyway, I pressed for details and she described you.”

“Mommy?!” Derrick’s shock interrupted the conversation. “I can’t believe you did that. How is Aunt Bea anyway? She didn’t let on she was around while I was there.” Nostalgia jogged Derrick’s memories.

Natalie laughed and smiled at Derrick’s comfort in saying mommy instead of mother. “It’s okay Derrick,” Natalie spoke up. “I would probably do the same thing given the circumstances. Please go on Val. Beatrice sounds like a lovely woman.”

“She is,” Mrs. Parker confirmed. “Moving right along. Upon Derrick’s return, I noticed a change. Subtle as it was, but I knew something was different about him. I asked various questions though never letting on I was prying for information about you,” Mrs. Parker casually admitted. “I must say, you’ve done rather well for yourself young lady,” Mrs. Parker complimented and continued keeping her remaining methods to herself. Derrick sighed and coughed as if somewhat offended by the revelation. “Derrick honey, it’s okay. I assure you that neither your father nor your wife know or suspect anything,” Mrs. Parker paused again. “Each too consumed with themselves!” The sidebar commented stunned both Derrick and Natalie.

“Mommy, excuse me for a second. Why did you do all of this?” Derrick sounded like a little boy.

“I have to agree with Derrick Val, what prompted the interest in me.” Natalie was trying to imagine the women with whom had taken so much interest in her. Did she look like Derrick? Was she tall, short; thin? Her voice gave no indication of her age.

“Curiosity and happiness.” Mrs. Parker said in a hurry. “I don’t mean to be intrusive Natalie and I’m not sure how much Derrick has told you about his life, but I stand by my son enough to know that it’s probably been nothing short of the truth,” the echoes of pride encased Mrs. Parker’s words. “Behind that huge exterior is a kind, gentle, and warm man who wants nothing more than some happiness in his life. His children mean everything to him, as he and his brother do to me, but for reasons somewhat beyond our control; though moreso his, he can’t leave her. I…”

“Save the details for me mommy; I’ll tell her.” Derrick interrupted impatiently. “What I want to know is your interest. Actually, you used the word ally.”

“Slow down Derrick,” Natalie returned. “Please allow your mother her voice.”

“I apologize honey. I’ll stick to the point,” Mrs. Parker digressed. “Natalie, how do you feel about my son?”

Natalie was stunned. Although she had an idea of where the conversation was heading, she didn’t expect to be hit so bluntly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GIRRRRRRRRRRRL! Damn, you got your shit off on this one. Talk about creative writing! You get mad props for that. Rayne, you better catch up ma

12:47 PM, July 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dayum, Mom Dukes is nosey!!! Good post. JC, I'm catchin' up. Had to handle business....lol.

4:43 PM, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home