15 August 2006

She who reads...or at least wants to!

As a writer, I often spend countless hours reading just about anything I can get my hands on. I read newspapers; though I find them primarily depressing. I read magazines; though many of them tend to be rather repetitious, too catered, and on a few occasions; amusing. I enjoy fiction because I'm always intested in other writing styles and in many authors. As a subscriber to a book club, I anxiously wait every month for a new book to come in. As an avid reader, I use the month to month delivery as my meter for how soon I should have my book read. The drawback? I'm currently about 4 months behind. I started a book I desperately wanted to read and have yet to complete it. So, in my burgeoning bookcase, I add new books waiting to be read while the one I'm yet to complete sits there sadly waiting my return.

It bothers me that I have not allocated the time to play catch up on my reading, but I'm distracted. I read and write for a living, so there are times when the last thing I want to do is read on my down time. I'm also working on self-publishing, which in itself is an arduous task and I need to focus on that and not other people's work. But I do need the distraction. There's that word again...DISTRACTION. I feel like I'm in a damned if you do, and damned if you don't cycle. Maybe I need my imgainary doses adjusted to quell my bouts of imaginary (though real feeling) ADD and to get back on track.

Whatever it is and whatever it takes, I'll get it together. Passion unsued is like dousing a much needed flame to sustain inner warmth. (Damn, that was a creative quote I just made up!!!!) I can't let the fire die!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This should have been a blog. Definitely don't let the fire die. Just pace yourself, but push yourself to work a little ahead of your normal pace. You can't rush things like this so when it's time to take a break, get a good wooosssaaaahh and then get back to the grind. It's hard work, but it'll pay off.

9:15 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Hello, BluJewel, I guess you didn't notice when you visited my blog, but I actually already have a link to The SaPhyre Lounge in the sidebar. I need to clean that list up a little, I know; I just put the links in anywhere I could, and I need to sort them out.

I understand exactly what you are saying in this post. I've been there. Only add the fact that I have so many books I can't bear to part with they threaten to overwhelm my life, and you have described my predicament perfectly.

12:59 PM, August 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home